· Kankakee High School has over 1200 students. The ethnic makeup of our student population is approximately 54% Black, 20.3% White, 21.8% Hispanic, .6% Asian, .4% American Indian and 2.9% Multi-Racial. Our Smaller Learning Communities consists of 3 Academies which includes our Freshman Academy, Business Partnership Academy and Medical Academy.
· KHS has a variety of course offerings in Mathematics, English, Social Science, Science, Technology and Applied Science as well as Foreign Language. Several courses are also offered at the Honors Level and Advanced Placement Level.
· We have increased our Advanced Placement offerings each year. We offer AP Studio Art, AP U.S History, AP World History, AP Calculus, AP Computer Science, AP Spanish and AP Statistics.
SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PLAN
· We are continuing to work on our School Improvement Plan which includes three primary goals:
1. Improving student achievement in Mathematics
2. Improving student achievement in Reading
3. Improving student behavior and increasing our graduation rate.
· In order to support our efforts, we incorporate a School-Wide testing day in the spring for our freshmen, sophomore and junior students. Data from these tests will be analyzed and strategies will be incorporated for student learning to increase student achievement.
o freshmen take the PLAN test
o sophomores take a practice ACT test
o juniors take the ACT test and WORK Keys (PSAE).
o seniors use the testing day for college visits.
· We also implemented Performance Series testing system for all students. Data from this system will also be used to increase student achievement. Students are tested on a regular basis through the Performance Series.
· Our PBIS (Positive Behavioral Intervention System) has gotten off to a tremendous start. We are now presently implementing the primary and secondary levels of intervention levels.
· We have two mentoring programs that are in place for students. Brother 2 Brother and Sister Circle. Several students participate in these programs which build leadership capacity within these students. We also have a Student Advisory Committee who meets once a month with our Superintendent of Education. This committee represents all grade levels and all student groups.
· In an effort to assist our students who need to complete failed courses, we are offering a Credit Recovery program for students. Students will be able to attend classes after the school day to make up credits in PLATO (which is our online credit recovery system).